Every year when March rolls around, the time for spring cleaning arrives. So begins a season of cleaning and organizing, but homeowners often forget about certain hidden areas of their home that can also build-up dust and bacteria. As experts in the home service industry dedicated to helping all homeowners, we at Authority Brands want to share some tips about those forgotten areas! Read on to learn how to target them efficiently and give your home the TLC it deserves!
1. Electrical System
Maintaining a healthy electrical system, inside and out, is a crucial part of keeping your home clean and tidy. Here are a few things you can do:
- Clean your light switches, as they get a lot of traffic every day.
- Check your electrical panels for needed upgrades, replacements, or a sub-panel.
- Check that your lightbulbs match the listed wattage for each light fixture to ensure safety and reduce fire risks.
- Inspect your electrical cords for damage and replace as needed.
- Move any misplaced cords to prevent a tripping hazard.
- Clean the interior and exterior of your dryer hose and exhaust vent to avoid hazards.
If you find that you’re in need of repairs or an upgrade to your electrical system, trust in a company that you know will get the work done safely—call Mister Sparky.
2. Plumbing System
From clogged drains to grimy toilets, your plumbing systems can really use a deep clean, inside and out.
- Clean your showerhead to ensure your shower operates efficiently and bacteria-free.
- Deep clean your toilet by pouring vinegar into the bowl and letting it sit overnight. Then, use a toilet brush to scrub and a toothbrush with baking soda to get the hard-to-reach nooks and crannies.
- Tackle small clogged drains using a plunger.
- Remove stubborn rust stains around your sinks, tubs, and toilets using lemon juice with salt or a hydrochloric acid chemical cleaner.
- Fight biofilm, which looks like sticky goo on plumbing fixtures or ooze that comes up after cleaning a hairball from the shower drain. Use a damp cloth and a proper cleaning solution to wipe it away.
If you find any underlying issues or severely clogged drains while cleaning, call a plumbing expert. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing has a locally owned and operated location near you that’s ready to help!
3. Air Quality System
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor allergens and irritants play a significant role in triggering asthma attacks and other health issues. This year, don’t forget to include your home’s air in your spring cleaning activities.
- Open the windows and let some fresh air in while you’re doing your spring cleaning.
- Switch to fragrance-free cleaning products, laundry detergent, dish soap, etc.
- Get more houseplants to help naturally remove toxins in the air.
- Have your ducts cleaned by a professional.
- Switch out your heavy curtains and rugs for ones with thinner fabric, as they will capture less dust.
- Replace your air filters.
- Organize your coat closet and use it to avoid spreading allergens inside.
If you want to be healthier and more comfortable in your home, start by improving your indoor air quality. Your local One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning team offers a full range of indoor air quality services for your climate and lifestyle.
4. Pool Maintenance
In order to properly care for your pool, weekly pool maintenance is ideal to ensure satisfactory water chemistry, sanitation, and overall appearance of your pool, and to save money in the long term. Check out this weekly pool maintenance checklist to keep your pool healthy and sparkly clean:
- Check pool water chemistry, record chemical readings, and add chemicals as needed.
- Empty skimmer baskets, pool pump basket, and automatic pool cleaner debris bag.
- Skim pool water surface for leaves and debris.
- Brush tile or vinyl at water surface around the entire pool, including pool steps and benches.
- Check filter pressure for appropriate reading.
- Clean pool features (e.g., cleaning fountain).
Pools require a lot of effort to maintain and if you don’t have time to do it yourself, pool experts can help save you time and money! America’s Swimming Pool Company can give you the peace of mind you have always wanted from a pool service company.
So Why Spring Clean?
We’ve given you the solutions to keeping you’re home clean and safe, but what are the benefits to a deep seasonal clean?
- Find lost items that you’ve misplaced or forgot about!
- Increase productivity by decluttering your home all at once from any distractions.
- Studies show a clean home makes people happier!
- Get a healthier home by removing allergens that you may not rid in your regular cleaning routine.
- Purge your closets, drawers, and cabinets of all those things don’t want or need.
- Make some money off the items you don’t need anymore at a yard sale, consignment shop, or online.
Cleaning your home—whether spring cleaning or not—can take a lot of time and effort. If you find yourself needing more help with keeping your home clean, call the experts. When you hire The Cleaning Authority, we spend the first two cleans fully detail cleaning your home. From there, we continue with a careful system that divides your home into four zones and rotates which is deep cleaned. Visit The Cleaning Authority to find the location nearest to you and get a free online estimate!
Download our Spring Cleaning Guide for more helpful tips!